ServiceMaster of the Twin Cities provides Fire Damage Restoration, Smoke Damage Restoration, Water Damage Restoration, Duct Cleaning, Carpet Cleaning, and other services.
October is fire safety month! Be sure to check all of the important safety tips of of this list. An ounce of
prevention is worth a pound of cure!
Fire Safety Checklist
- There should be a smoke detector on every level of the home.
- Smoke alarms should be cleaned and tested once a month. Set a reminder on your phone.
- Smoke alarm batteries should be changed once a year. Pick a memorable day, like Thanksgiving or a birthday.
- Own fire extinguishers and know how to use them! Significant fire damage can be avoided by using a fire extinguisher.
- Don’t leave your stove-top or grill unattended when cooking. Kitchen fires are the number one cause of household fire damage.
- Make sure your stove hood is clean and vented to the outside.
- Keep flammable items (like paper towels) away from the cooking area.
- Make sure all cords are in good condition. Replace damaged ones. Electrical problems are the second leading cause of home fire damage.
- Don’t run cords under rugs.
- Plug all appliances directly into the wall.
- Make sure dryer lint trap and ventilation system are clean.
- Always blow out candles when you leave a room.
- Never leave children or pets alone with lit candles.
- Have your heating system inspected and cleaned by a professional once a year.
- Keep all furniture and other potential flammables at least 3 feet away from heat sources including fireplaces, heating vents, space heaters, and radiators.
- Space heaters are plugged directly into the wall.
One of the most important fire safety steps is to create a fire escape plan and practice it once a month! (See follow up post here)
If you have had a fire in your home or office call ServiceMaster of the Twin Cities today. We are proud to be the foremost experts in fire damage restoration and smoke damage restoration. (612)871-3885