ServiceMaster Minneapolis gets many calls a year for mold remediation.
If you notice a water leak, or spill indoors— Act quickly. Damp areas, if dried 24-48 hours after the leak occur more than likely will not grow mold.
Here are a few pointers for helping prevent mold:
- Clean gutters regularly and ensure they are working properly.
- Make sure ground slopes away from the building foundation, so water does not enter through cracks, gaps, or collect around it.
- Keep air conditioning drip plans clean and drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly.
- Keep indoor humidity low. The ideal relative humidity is 45%, with a preferred range of 30%-50%. This can be measured with a small, inexpensive humidity meter, which is available at many hardware stores.
- Condensation on pipes, walls, or windows is a sign of high humidity. Promote air flow in the area where the source may be, and do anything possible to reduce the humidity. Call for inspection.
- Vent appliances which produce moisture such as clothes dryers, stoves, and kerosene heaters to the outside if possible. (combustion appliances such as stoves and kerosene heaters produce water vapor and will increase the humidity unless vented to the outside.
- Use air conditioner /or a dehumidifier (or, heat during cold months)
- Run the bathroom fan or open the window when showering.
- Use exhaust fans or open windows when cooking, or running the dishwasher, or while washing dishes
For information on our service areas: Minneapolis, Bloomington, Brooklyn Park, Burnsville, Edina, Stillwater, MN & nearby area, kindly visit our Contact Us page.